Thursday, June 9, 2011

As Parents, How do You deal with Anger?

Reviewing you own history of family relationships can give you a better perspective on how you deal with anger.

Do you explode when confronted with problems or do you evade dealing with them?

Do you explode or implode? Are you a short fuse or no fuse at all?

No one can answer these questions but yourself and a good hard look at your own behavior when you are angry is vital to your effectiveness in dealing with your child's anger.

Consider this question: What do you do when you are angry?

a) I yell.

b) I hit someone or something.

c) I go to my room and slam the door.

d) I try to resolve the situation as calmly as possible.
http://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gif
e) I go for a drink and/or a cigarette.

It is beneficial to have your wife, partner or a good friend review your responses with you. The goal is to arrive at an honest appraisal of your own response to anger.

Better options for dealing with your child emerge when we know and understand our own responses to anger.

More at parenting-help.

No comments: